Faste læsere vil (måske) kunne nikke genkendende til årets nytårstanker og vide, at jeg har en ganske særlig forkærlighed for Diana Vreeland. Hun var redaktør på amerikanske Vogue og Harper’s Bazaar og både berømt og berygtet for sine skarpe bemærkninger. Hun lagde ikke fingrene i mellem, og som Yves Saint Laurent sagde om hende: Diana Vreeland belonged to the breed of women who take fate by the throat and oblige it to surrender.
Hvad kan bedre end det starte et nyt spændende år?
Her får du mine 10 yndlingscitater fra Vreeland – måske nogle af dem kan inspirere dig til dit eget 2021.
- There’s only one very good life and that’s the life you know you want and you make it yourself
- The only real elegance is in the mind; if you’ve got that, the rest really comes from it
- When I arrived in America, I had these very dark red nails which some people objected to, but then some people object to everything
- A world without leopards, well, who would want to live in it?
- I have a terrible time remembering exactly when my birthday is. Age is totally boring
- Vanity, vanity, all is vanity. Well I think people look better with a little vanity. I think men should have it. Women should have it. It’s a form of pride. It’s very important
- A little bad taste is like a nice splash of paprika. We all need a splash of bad taste – it’s hearty, it’s healthy, it’s psysical. I think we could use more of it. No taste is what I’m against
- Anyone who’s afraid and does not search and give as much as possible to the world of pleasure is a totally ignorant person. We were put here for the joy of it, for the hell of it, and it’s all here now, nothing’s been taken away, it’s a question of creating it
- Always have a glass of champagne before making a serious decision. Or even before going to the dentist
- I think a woman owes it to herself and everyone around her to be deliciously perfumed
Drømmer du om et splash af Vreeland i dit eget 2021, så fås det lige her (og hey, hvem ønsker ikke at give året et perfectly marvellous boost med et touch af eksotiske rejser draperet i jasmin, sandeltræ og cashmeran, der svarer lidt til at pakke sig i blød cashmere)